Why Should Developers Keep an Eye for Platform Ops?
Meeting customer expectations quickly and effortlessly might be a huge obstacle for businesses. Many experts have already discovered that scaling DevOps is a difficult task. Platform Ops is a way you should be aware of and consider in your software development life cycle if you want to expand DevOps.
Platform Ops will enable you to provide customer value at a quicker rate, on a wider scale, and with less risk to your organization. It is gaining appeal among businesses who know that even if irregular DevOps projects are successful, they will not expand on their own. Gartner did address this concept through their research note “How to Scale DevOps by Building Platform Teams” which does offer a deeper insight regarding the importance of Platform Ops.
What is the Origin of Platform Ops?
Previously, it was considered that building the right culture would lead to good DevOps, which would lead to rapid, productive app development with a high app store rating. However, it has become clear that increasing key abilities leads to effective DevOps. This move works to highlight DevOps capability from culture-building to capacity enhancement, along with the need to scale DevOps, which culminated in the establishment of Platform Ops.
Understanding Platform Ops
Platform Ops has a simple goal: to layout the process of rising DevOps methods. And, in order to increase DevOps capabilities while still retaining expertise, the organization of the DevOps team must be reconsidered. This lets developers focus on building and businesses servicing their consumers rather than worrying about the process stage.
In order to scale DevOps capabilities beyond the limit of a single team, we must begin to translate DevOps’ capabilities into products and services for which development teams will be the consumers.
Platform Ops is all about transforming DevOp’s scalable capabilities into products and services.
What is the Role of a Platform Ops Team?
A Platform Ops team’s role is to provide operational services to development teams in a manner that enables them to self-serve. The team is also responsible for creating and managing a library of technologies and software testing methodologies that improve the efficiency of engineering and networking teams while also establishing best practices for easier scaling.
However, it should be known that a platform operations team does not aim to constrain options. They are more concerned with achieving consensus and ensuring that everyone has the necessary tools and assistance. Platform operations teams accomplish this by executing several tasks, a few of them are mentioned below:
- Build solid professional relationships from the top to the bottom of the organization, spanning functional teams and organizational boundaries.
- Create technical standards and guidelines to assure system integrity and compliance with enterprise IT standards, policies, and processes.
- Interact across the firm’s strategic organization to identify best practices and contribute to the creation of the entire ecosystem for the company’s system and service architecture.
Platform operations teams must curate and monitor norms and standards on the tools and procedures that DevOps as well as other teams must employ to be productive at scale. The platform operations team cannot enforce these rules and standards, but must instead engage and collaborate with teams on how to use the platform’s standards.
Platform Ops enables businesses to satisfy consumer demand quickly and effortlessly, refocusing attention on the business and de-risking projects by ensuring that all development teams have access to a far larger number of different skills such as security, cloud cost reduction, and tracking.
Why Companies Might Need Platform Ops
When a corporation has numerous DevOps teams, each designing their own applications and selecting their own technologies for traffic management, traceability, analytics, security, and robustness, Platform Ops are required. Platform operations are required for expanding DevOps since growth or cooperative activities between teams could become uncoordinated if no one supervises or creates standard procedures and tools.
- Companies can use platform operations to provide a self-service platform that allows their developers to deliver code fast, reliably, and securely.
- Platform operations also ensure that best practices, accountability, and access to cutting-edge technology are available in the system. It enables businesses to extend the DevOps skills of their developers and teams while also establishing a long-term DevOps culture.
- From a business point of view, this indicates excellent customer experience as their demands are fulfilled in a quick and seamless manner. While also ensuring development teams have access to a broader range of operational techniques, such as monitoring, reducing the cloud cost, etc.
Platform Ops may be used by businesses to provide a self-service platform that allows its engineers to deploy code quickly, consistently, and safely. Simultaneously, it guarantees that best practices, governance, and access to cutting-edge technology are part of their strategy.
Platform Ops enables firms to grow the DevOps capabilities of their development teams and establish a true and lasting DevOps culture throughout the organization.
If your organization manages multiple development teams, then platform Ops enables the establishment of a genuine and long-lasting DevOps culture. Get in touch with Apptread to know more about Platform Ops and its varied advantages to your organization.